Museo di Saludecio e del Beato Amato
The museum has free admission.
Romagna Visit Card holders will receive a free publication *
*while stocks last
The Museum of Saludecio and of the Blessed Amato (this is the original and for now unchanged name) is a museum of local history and sacred art, mainly linked to the figure of Santo Amato Ronconi, and was born in 2001 from the will of the Parish of St. Biagio Vescovo, from the Municipality of Saludecio and from the Saludecese Community.
It is located in a particularly significant place for the city's history: it is in fact housed in the ancient Malatesta bastion adjacent to the medieval Porta Marina and is annexed to the Sanctuary of Santo Amato.
It is ordered in two main sections: the first tells the story of Saludecio and his artistic expressions, while the second is dedicated to Santo Amato Ronconi, canonized by Pope Francis on November 23, 2014; the sacristy and the crypt of the parish church are also part of the museum itinerary.
The history of Saludecio is summarized in the vestibule / lapidary by the exposition of some archaeological finds from the Roman age (among which we note the altar dedicated to the god Silvanus of the first century AD) and from other stone material belonging to different ages (such as the relief of the "Christ in piety" of the seventeenth century).
The art is instead testified by a unique painting of the seventeenth century for its high quality and that aligns some masterpieces of Guido Cagnacci such as the naturalist "San Sisto Papa" of 1627 and "The procession of the Blessed Sacrament", scenographic representation of 1628; by Claudio Ridolfi with the plurispisodica "Decollazione di San Giovanni Battista" of around 1620; and Giovan Francesco Nagli known as il Centino with the large altarpiece depicting "Saints Antonio Abate and Antonio da Padova in adoration of the Child Jesus" from the mid-seventeenth century. The works on display refer to the artistic relationships between Romagna and Marche, which have made Saludecio an important cultural center and which, also thanks to the contribution of famous foreign artists, has generated local figures who have expressed themselves with remarkable examples, in painting, in sculpture and engraving art - think of Sante Braschi, of whom numerous creations are kept in the Museum. Still in this first polygonal room, ecclesiastical furnishings are set up which tell of the presence of as many as five confraternities and the two convents that were suppressed under Napoleonic rule.
Life, the works of Santo Amato Ronconi (1226-1292) and devotion to his figure are the theme of the second room. Here there are paintings that tell of miracles and rare matrices and prints that reinterpret the same themes in different centuries.
It is noted that it is an extremely singular object, a table with 12 pyrographed panels from the 15th century, which was originally the roof of the sarcophagus in which the remains of the Saint were stored for a long time; in the carved scenes are known episodes of the earthly life of Amato Ronconi and other facts not yet deciphered and also, a suggestive view of Saludecio.
The cult towards the Saint had spread already since the XIII century and without interruption it came to us: the objects and ex voto testify that the devotees donated to the Sanctuary and, almost in the form of curiosity, also a skullcap of Pope Francis.
On temporary exhibitions and outside the hours of religious services, it is possible to visit the sacristy and the crypt on request, the latter being a neoclassical underground environment of particular harmony, decorated with stucco reliefs by Antonio Trentanove.
Complementary to the visit to the Museum is the eighteenth-century parish church of San Biagio Vescovo, where there are other works of art and in the chapel dedicated to him, the incorrupt body of Santo Amato Ronconi.
- Indirizzo: Piazza Santo Amato Ronconi, 1 (già Piazza Beato Amato)
- Città: Saludecio (RN)
- Tel: 0722 629133