Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Sarsina

The archaeological Museum of Sarsina was founded in 1890, when the numerous Latin inscriptions found in the area during the past centuries were for the first time collected and exhibited to the public. Most of them already belonged to the collection of a local humanist, Filippo Antonini. New discoveries later enriched these collections in particular as a result of the archaeological excavations started in 1927 in the Roman necropolis of Pian di Bezzo.
The graveyard area has indeed rendered a great deal of monuments, all exceptionally preserved as they were protected by the thick layer of soil that had drifted over the bottom of the valley following an antique flood.

The Museum, which became a State Museum in 1957, was enlarged and restructured several times, while recent interventions have completely renewed the exhibition areas.
The objects, arranged in thirteen rooms, are all of local provenance and cover a chronological period starting from prehistory up to the early Middle Ages. The richest and most significant records are nonetheless those belonging to the Roman ages, dating from III century B.C. to IV century A.D.
The finds gathered in the inhabited centre and in the surrounding area illustrate the history and features ofthe old Sarsina, the native land of Plautus. The town, that had finally been the county town of the Umbrian people living in the valley of the Savio river, was occupied by the Romans in 266 B.C. and became a prosperous municipality with close trade and cultural relations with the town of Ravenna.

Address

  • Indirizzo: Via Cesio Sabino, 39
  • Città: Sarsina (FC)

Contact

  • Tel: +39 054794641
  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.